Gluten-free customers face a difficult task in the upcoming weeks, as many traditional holiday favorites feature gluten. Flour is a foundational ingredient in cookies, pies, and other baked goods that are so popular during the holidays. The growing number of gluten-free eaters places a tremendous responsibility on operators to serve delicious gluten-free dishes.
Here are four thoughts to keep in mind when adding gluten-free choices to your holiday menu:
- Find New Ways to Thicken Soups and Sauces
- Many operators use flour to thicken soups, sauces, and gravy. They must find an alternative ingredient for gluten-free items.
- Focus on Adding Desserts
- Due to the heavy presence of flour in many beloved desserts, gluten-free sweets are rarely included on menus. Adding gluten-free dessert options can increase sales while providing an opportunity to up-sell the item.
- Utilize Festive Seasonings in Your Dishes
- Many popular holiday spices, such as cinnamon and nutmeg, do not have gluten and can add a festive touch to any dish.
- Consult an Expert
- The Gluten-Free Food Service can help determine the best ways to add gluten-free products to your menu.
These strategies will help your restaurant appeal to the growing portion of gluten-free consumers this holiday season!
For more information, please read on at FSR Magazine.